Schreiber Dynamix – Construction Management
The project envisaged construction of a new Juice Factory with capacity of 16 TPH producing 200 mL and 1000 mL SKU’s. The project spanned 12 months end-to-end including Civil Building works, and Equipment Installation and Commissioning.
The project aimed to onboard only the top suppliers for plant and machinery. Tetrapak was given order to supply the process machinery, and PMG Team as entrusted with work of Design and Execution Supervision of Industrial Services including high capacity Water Treatment Plant, Boiler Upgradation, Steam Compressed Air, Effluent Treatment, overall Electrical Power and Lighting, and Pipe Bridge and Pipelines.
The design and installation of Industrial Services was especially challenging as the project targeted to upgrade/ increase capacity of the already available utilities e.g. bio-mass boiler, effluent treatment plant, etc. without disrupting the production/ operations of existing food park.
Supervision and Management of Mechanical and Electrical Works at project site as per the design. This included below activities:
- Mobilizing Full Time Engineers with respective background (mechanical, electrical, drafting) to lead and guide site activities
- Conducting daily-operational-review (DOR) with contractors and project team to resolve issues and drive progress
- Hand-hold contractors for first-time right and timely completion
- Safety and Legal Compliance for All Contractual Teams
- Ensuring safe work practices at site by active participation in Safety Training to Contractors, Daily Contractor Field Audits, Daily Toolbox Talks, Safety Committee Formation and Meetings, Emergency Evacuation and Other Drills
Differentiated Value Creation
- Project completion with no loss-time accident (total ~2 lakh safe man hours)
- All utilties upto the battery limit of Tetrapak were installed and tested, ready for production, in advance of installation of Tetrapak equipment
- Ensuring stakeholder alignment at all stages of the project among Schreiber Dynamix, Fazilka Food Park, Tetrapak, Utilties Suppliers, PMG Design Team, and other stakeholders
Fazilka in Punjab is a remote location, just 7 km from the India-Pakistan border, and two challenges were persistent across the project, firstly to arrange contractual manpower in requisite numbers at site, and secondly to get the tasks completed by the available manpower whose technical knowledge and experience was quite below the general average, as good workers simply wouldn’t come this far to work. However, our team took this as an opportunity to help the contractors grow by educating and training them with numerous techno-managerial sessions across the installation and commissioning works.
Typical engineers may be good at engineering but are weak at project reporting, which includes tracking day-to-day progress, making visual reports and presentations for senior management, etc. However, across the project, our team delivered timely reports with good content – true status of site and pro-active insights on future risks, which helped senior management at Schreiber Dynamix take early decisions to continually steer the project in right direction.