Butter is a dairy product made from the fat and protein components of churned cream. It is semi-solid at cold room temperature. Butter can taste different, ranSalt, and yellow to white solid. Butter manufacturing involves types of equipment like – Pasteurizer, Separator, Butter Continuous Making Machine, Butter Storage Tank, Butter Balance Tank, Butter Churn, Butter Trolley, etc.
The below table depicts the composition of Butter
- Principle of Butter Making
The process of butter making is principally an inversion of the fat-in water type emulsion of cream to the water-in fat type of emulsion in butter. Butter systems are different types.
- Traditional batch Method – Churning from 25-35% milkfat cream.
- Continuous floatation – Churning from 30-50% milk-fat cream
- Concentration process – Plastic cream of 82% milk-fat is separated from 35%
milkfat cream at 55°C and this oil-in-water emulsion is inverted to water-in
oil emulsion butter with no further draining of buttermilk.
- Requirement of Hygienic Equipment
Materials of construction. Materials used for the construction of a food processing plant must full fill certain specific requirements for Surface roughness. Cleaning is defined as the removal of product residues and foreign material. It is required for hygienic, technical.
- All equipment should be non-corrosive, made from food-grade materials that do not impart any toxic substance to food.
- No equipment and containers made up of iron or galvanized iron are to be used in food handling, preparation, and storage.
- Equipment to be suitably designed and placed to permit ease.
- A food establishment shall be located away from environmental pollution and industrial activities that produce obnoxious odor, fumes, smoke, chemical or biological emissions, and pollutants that may pause the threat of contaminating food.
- The surroundings shall be clean, free from infestation of pests, wastes- solid or liquid
- Manufacturing premises should not have direct access to any residential premises/area
- Process Flow Sheet
- Butter Manufacturing Process equipment
5.1. Raw Milk Silo Tank
Stainless Steel Tanks are used for storing the milk at 4 Deg. C for long durations. The tank provided insulation in the outer jacket. The milk inlet should be non-foaming type at the top.
5.2. Centrifugal Pump for Transfer Milk
A Centrifugal pump is a mechanical device. Design to move fluid using the transfer rotational energy from one to more driven rotors. The pump transfers liquid form is called a centrifugal pump.
5.3. Milk Pasteurizer
Milk pasteurization is the process of heating the milk to a pre-determined temperature for a specified period without re-contamination during the process. Heating milk to 71.7°C for 15 seconds to kill Coxiella. The milk to between 72°C to 74°C for 15 to 20 seconds.
5.4. Cream Separator
Cream Separator Machine for separating and removing cream from milk. Its centrifugal operation process is two-phase since skim milk and milk with no butterfat cream.
5.5. Cream Balance Tank
The cream Balance tank keeps the product at a constant level above the pump inlet. The balance used some product storage.
5.6. Cream Chiller
A cream Chiller is a mechanical device for chilling the product. Before further processing or storage to prevent microbial growth. The cream is chilled to around 4ᵒc chiller using a plate.
5.7. Cream Pasteurizer
The cream pasteurizer in Heating and Cooling arrangement for cream pasteurizer. Pasteurized cream has comparatively more shelf life due to a reduction in microbial load. Pasteurizer internal components like – Steam control valves, Manual valves, Electrical panel, PLC-based system, Holding tube, etc.
5.8. Cream Storage Tank
Cream storage tank used for the Pasteurizer Cream 4℃ temperature for a butter churn. These tanks often have conical bottoms are cooled using a dimple jacket & are completely insulated.
5.9. Butter Churn
A device used to convert cream into butter. This is done through a mechanical process is called butter churn. The pole is inserted through the lid of the churn, or via a crank used to turn a rotating device inside the churn. Butter Churn rotator shaft with the electrical motor gearbox.
5.10. Butter Trolley
Butter Trolleys are used for the transportation of butter from one section to the other section is called butter trolleys.
5.11. Continuous Butter Making Machine
Butter Continuous making machine is a new technology. CBM machine proper mixing of cream and convert to butter. Cream storage tank to flow via a balance tank and is fed using a positive displacement pump to the rear of the primary churning section. Fill the butter continuous making machine. The residence time for cream in the section is only 1- 2 min very short time.
5.12. Butter Cutting Machine
Butter cutting Butter block cutting M/C is designed to cut butter blocks into small pieces before homogenizing, re-packaging processes.
5.13. Butter Packing Machine
The butter wrapping machine is designed for filling and wrapping butter etc. into Al. foil, parchment paper, or ecocline (with memory).
5.14. Butter Cold Room
Butter cold room temperature required – 18 Degree. for storage till intended use or dispatch. During dispatch, it is still kept at -20 to – 18 Deg. C
- P & I Diagram for Butter Manufacturing Equipment
Write a Comment